Thursday, June 9, 2011

Venn Diagram

Venn diagrams are awesome for clarifying data. They are an extremely visual way of seeing what you have, and where you have it. It works for numbers, food stuffs, inanimate objects, and even people. It's not putting them in a box, it's putting them in a circle! (Or an overlap *wink*). And it may be the clearest way to illustrate being on the fringe of social groups.

I have a very diverse collection of friends. I crave this diversity and the intellectual stimulation that results from this anti-Stepford array of acquaintances. However, they are so diverse that I cannot have them all in the same room (and sometimes the same Facebook) together without knickers getting twisted or toes trampled. It can make planning events difficult.

To Venn diagram my friendships and acquaintances is a beautiful thing--it looks like a multi-petaled flower or some "artistic" rendering of a chrysanthemum. It is similar if I diagrammed my location; we're centrally located, we just have to drive to get anywhere.

While being on the fringe of social groups--and civilization--provides a variegated richness, the Venn diagram displays something equally as poignant....


Being wholly alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

marshmallows for my cocoa