Thursday, February 23, 2012

Balancing Motherhood

Motherhood is a balancing act.  Balancing the needs of various family members.  Balancing the needs of the house, hearth, and home.  Balancing the needs of the bank account.  It's like balancing spinning plates.

It feels like my spinning plates are careening out of control for a moment.  *lol*

I started pumping for the first time in six months this week.  I cannot aptly express the anxiety that melted away when I saw that liquid gold dripping into the storage bag.  I had stopped pumping because I didn't have a need for milk wasting away in the freezer (I threw out almost 30-ounces of six-month old dairy-laden breastmilk earlier this month); but now I have a need again and, gratefully, I am able to still pump.

It's interesting to observe differences between my milk back in August (with a four month old) and my milk now (with a 10 month old).  It takes a little longer for it to start dripping into the storage bag.  There is no obvious foremilk.  I still get less with the pump from the same side I have always gotten less with (even with the first child).  And I'm getting less milk overall than I was in August.  But, while we rely heavily upon my breastmilk, it is no longer the only nutrition received so I'm not spazzing about only pumping one or two ounces at a time.  

We will likely rely heavily upon my breastmilk until he is at least two years old.  He has an issue with dairy.  I have an issue with soy, almonds and coconuts that I would prefer not to introduce him to prior to more effective communication.  So we'll be providing breastmilk for at least two years.

It's just another plate to spin into balance--and it's looking like a good balance at the moment!  Now to work out the other wobbling plates.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

marshmallows for my cocoa