Sunday, December 4, 2011

It's about Giving

Years ago my mom made a statement that has resonated with me for the duration of my life.

Santa is anybody that wishes to give anonymously.

My best Christmas memories, outside of the family holiday programs, are the times that we were able to play Secret Santa for somebody.  Ducking down open, icy stairwells, slinking between parked vehicles, avoiding the glow of motion-sensor security lights...delivering gifts to let somebody else know that they are being thought of.  Interestingly, except for one delivery (a crate of mandarin oranges), I don't recall any of the gifts we delivered--but I remember the glow in my heart that lasted a very long time.

As a child in a single-mother household, I experienced being on the receiving end of Secret Santas as well, and while it was gratefully received I far prefer doing the giving, it's much more gratifying! 

And then I had my own kids and I struggled with figuring out what our traditions were. 

The first several Christmases we didn't have spare cash for anonymous gifts, but the grandparents sent such an overwhelming bounty of gifts that we asked Santa to bless others.  And that's the response the nosey-nellies in the grocery store, and other outings, during the holidays receive:  We ask Santa to bless others because the grandparents send so much.

And our kids?  They know that Santa is anybody that wishes to give anonymously.  They've filled stockings for boys their age for The Salvation Army to be a Secret Santa for somebody else.  They deposit in The Salvation Army's Red Kettles every time we pass one.  Each holiday season we learn something else about the history of holiday traditions.  And while the grandparents, thankfully, don't send the massive quantity of gifts they did in the beginning of our adventure in raising children, we still ask Santa to bless others.  And we bless others too, as we are able.

Because it's about the giving.


And our next step is to work on the timely expression of gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment

marshmallows for my cocoa